Rock Creek has been fishing pretty well as of late. Lots of shelf ice early in the morning but most of the river is open. Fish have been rising, hitting nymphs, and hitting streamers as well. Look to nymph the deeper pools and swing a streamer on the tailouts. If you see any rising fish try a griffiths gnat or a single midge.
Hare are a few tips for fly fishing Rock Creek:
1. Try a double nymph rig
2. Fish the slow inside bends and deeper pools
3. The midges have been popping so if you see rising fish throw on a single midge or a Griffiths Gnat.
Here are a few fly suggestions:
1. Sparkle Minnow size 6, in sculpin
2. Purple Haze size 14-18
3. Elk hair caddis size 14-16
4. Kreelex Minnow size 6, in copper/gold
5. TJ Hooker size 10-12, in coffee/black
6. Pheasant Tail Nymph size 12-20
7. Zebra midge size 16
Flows and looking ahead:
Winter flows are good. Fishing in the morning through mid-day has been good and the evening fishing has been excellent.
Stop by the shop for the latest report, a coffee from our coffee shop, Jackalope Java, and for everything else you need for your trip. We're open 7a-4p Thursday - Monday