Rock Creek is one of the colder flowing rivers in Montana right now. The fish are happy and the fishing has been excellent. We have hatches of yellow sallies and pmd's. Terrestrials are on the menu, too.
Here are a few tips for fly fishing Rock Creek:
1. Try a double dry fly rig
2. Fish the slow inside bends and deeper pools
3. Even if you do not see fish rising or a hatch, try dry flies. It doesn't get much better than it is right now
Here are a few fly suggestions:
1. Goldie Hawn size 14-18
2. Purple Haze size 14-18
3. Elk hair caddis size 14-16
4. Kreelex Minnow size 6, in copper/gold
5. TJ Hooker size 10-12, in coffee/black
6. Pheasant Tail Nymph size 12-20
7. Golden Stone Chubby size 12-14
8. Zebra midge size 16
Flows and looking ahead:
Summer flows are good. Fishing in the morning through mid-day has been good and the evening fishing has been excellent.
524 cfs at the time of publishing this report.
Stop by the shop for the latest report, a coffee from our coffee shop, Jackalope Java, and for everything else you need for your trip. We're open 7a-4p daily!